Thursday, April 14, 2011

Friday's Forgotten Books: Jana by David Veronese



Publisher: Serpent's Tail, 1993

Jana (A Tale of Decadence) is indeed just that, decadent. Eddie Verlaine is a young American male hanging out in Amterdam when he meets Jana, a mysterious feme-fatale character that he becomes completely captivated by. So much so that when she asks him for a large sum of money, he gives it to her without hesitation. When Jana introduces him to her friends, he's soon involved with drug smuggling.

Eddie is a bit of a reckless character, somewhat aimless, and continually puts himself in harms way. He doesn't seem to have any idea what he's doing or why. I don't know that I like such a hapless main character. Mostly I found myself angry with his stupidity. But the other eclectic cast of characters are compelling and memorable. I loved Veronese's descriptive prose. Jana is a wonderfully audacious novel unlike anything I can think to compare it to.

Visit Patti Abbott's blog for more Friday's Forgotten Books:http://pattinase.blogspot.com/2011/04/fridays-forgotten-books-friday-april-15.html

1 comment: