Sunday, March 11, 2012

Richard Godwin Talks About Mr. Glamour

Thriller writer Richard Godwin has dropped by to tell us about his latest novel, Mr. Glamour. Richard is the author of Apostle Rising and he has a fascinating blog called Chin Wag At The Slaughter House where he holds crime writers for questioning. But today, Richard is the one doing the talking...

Your new thriller “Mr. Glamour” has just been released. Can you tell us what it’s about?

Mr. Glamour is about a world of designer goods and beautiful, wealthy people. Their ideal lifestyle is shattered by a killer, a killer who seems to know everything about them and who is watching everyone, from the glamorous wives, to the two police officers carrying out the investigation into the bizarre killings. DCI Jackson Fare and his partner Inspector Steele try to get inside the killer's head only to find he got inside theirs first. They themselves are harbouring secrets, Flare has a dark side, and Steele herself is a woman who is privately pushing her sexual boundaries when she is not in police uniform. The killer's mind games drive them both to acts of darkness.

Meanwhile the police pathologist finds that the victims are being branded by the killer. I won't go into too much detail here, but suffice it to say there is an important explanation for this. The sub plot concerns a woman in a suburban lifestyle who is descending into a psychotic breakdown. Gertrude Miller enacts compulsive cleaning rituals and leads a double life.
Characters from the main plot stray into the sub plot, so the two stories dovetail neatly into one another.The ending is both a shock and a series of fireworks going off.

You have a good number of short stories published around the web, and in a couple of anthologies. Do you have a preference for writing short stories, novella length, or full length novels?

I have just got a story in Paul Brazill's anthology Brit Grit Too, and my Piquant: Tales Of The Mustard Man, about a killer who is extremely popular with the reading public, is out with Pulp Metal Fiction as an E Book. I must say I do not have a preference, but writing a story is a joy after some of the slog involved in editing a novel.

Your writing is deliciously dark and with a certain erotica flavour mixed in. It seems a unique combination. Are there any other writers or books out there that you feel your style compares with?

Thank you. I think that if you write a real character their sexuality will come into play. I am not sure who my style compares with. Other writers who mix these two elements are Richard Montanari and Thomas Harris.

What draws you to the noir side of writing?

I would like to say that while I am well known for writing Noir I also write poetry and started out writing satire. I write literary and horror. I think Noir fiction is a great vehicle for exploring the mechanisms of the human psyche, for penetrating deep into the motives people have. I am interested in exploring human motivation and how people refuse to acknowledge their motivation. I think despite our claims to rationality most men and women are driven by irrational urges they spend their lives wrestling with and failing to understand.

Favourite movies and favourite books, what are they?

It's hard to pick a few. If I had to name a couple I would say No Country For Old Men and Cape Fear as films, and as novels Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, Dickens's Great Expectations, Greene's Brighton Rock, and Leonard's Up In Honey's Room.

What’s in the cards for the rest of the year for Richard Godwin?

Mr. Glamour has already had some great reviews. It is available for purchase now at Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, The Book Depository, Foyles, and all good retailers. I have stories going into several anthologies and magazines and more novels waiting to go out as E Books later in the year. Apostle Rising, my debut, sold foreign rights in Hungary and will be released as an E Book this year. I am writing the sequel.


Be sure to stop by Richard's website

Check out Mr. Glamour, available now on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

And don't forget Apostle Rising, also available on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk



16 comments:

  1. Great interview, Julia. I love Richard's unapologetic approach to darker material. We need authors like him to break the boundaries of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben thanks. When a writer starts apologising he'll soon end up in real trouble.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff. Mr Glamour is going to be one of the books of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific stuff, I really enjoyed that, thank you. Richard is a unique voice in fiction. I'm a big fan of his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie as always you're a great support. It means a lot.

      Delete
  4. Wishing you all the best Richard, and a ton of success with Mr. Glamour. Just pre-ordered my copy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I predict Mr. Glamour will sell as well as Apostle Rising. Richard is an outstanding author, one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suspect Mr. Godwin will only amaze us more with Mr. Glamour. And that's some cover too. Cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ thanks. I hope you enjoy Mr. Glamour.

      Delete
  7. Julia thank you for hosting me. I hope you enjoy Mr. Glamour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome interview! This sounds like an amazing book and I am going to go and check it out now! I love discovering great new authors and books - especially in the thriller genre!! Thanks Julia and Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great interview. I have liked Godwin eversince I read his Getting High On Daisy(Drunk On The Moon) Magnificent prose that mesmerizes you. Thanks for spotlighting Mr. Godwin.

    Whit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whit I am so glad you enjoyed Getting High On Daisy, I hope you enjoy Mr.Glamour.

    ReplyDelete